Due to the rather strict house rules, the mostly inimical AIs and me being new to the game we are playing the game on normal.
Galaxy: 4 Arms (resembling tentacles ;-)) 1000 Stars, 40 AIs, 10 Advanced Starts, 33 “Homemade” races of the Cthulhu Myth – most of the applicable races you can find on Yog-Sothoth.com
The most known of them are probably the Star Spawn of Cthulhu, the Elder Things (from the Mountains of Madness), the Flying Polyps, the Deep Ones, the Great Race of Yith (Great because they had mastered time travel), the Moon-Beasts and the Voormis.
Mankind had just mastered space travel and is curious whom to meet out there, in space. They have had their experiences with alien beings on earth, but most of them which were seemingly dangerous have either disappeared or have – at least on the surface – been controlled. So mankind has kept its rather xenophile attitude towards other lifeforms.
The Arkham Humans, under their momentary chancellor Anatoly Antonov (Direct Democracy), want to be the good guys – “we” believe in the power of individuals, in science and in the good in all life – so we are Individualist, Xenophile and Materialist. Our Background is Nomadic, from mankind’s past, and also Communal, because we like each other and respect each other well.
Momentary House Rules (they keep getting expanded and straightened by ideas from viewers and myself as well as by gaining experience in the game):
– We have a positive attitude towards alien life and will never attack alien life until provoked massively or attacked
– Due to our Individualism, our scientists will, if possible, always research the technologies in their specialty field – and may trade places with their colleagues for doing so. If there is no such specialty tech accessible, we will go for the easiest technology available (the one not costing much) as they are not confident enough to take on more unknown and difficult fields outside of their specialties
– We will respect the Individualism of Species added to our Empire
– Non-spacefaring species will be supported to reach the space age (Enlightenment) and will be incorporated when they are vessels if they at least like us some (we want to form a multicultural, universal and peace bringing state)
– We will never use slavery
House rules which have been added already:
– Free elections: After a while it occurred to our old chancellor Thelma Ward that, in a direct democracy, elections should not be influenced at all – so whoever wins the popular vote is chancellor
– Will of the people: The chancellor was elected under a special agenda. We will do our utmost to fulfill this agenda. If a separatist chancellor is elected and wants to remove planets from the empire, then it will be done as well!
– Government Focus: The chancellor has special attributes and will concentrate their politics and policies on using them (this reflects his/her personality)
More coming in the following days Hope you like the story’s “structure” so far!
Picture By Howard Phillips Lovecraft (d. 1937) – http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/F-N-S/Misc/65129807_dadbb202a6_o.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19564000